One of the primary reasons we have partisan elections in the Caucus/Convention system is so Delegates can research the issues that are important to their neighbors, then find candidates that best represent those views for promoting to the Primary and General ballots.
At the last Utah Republican Party State Convention, a resolution was overwhelmingly passed to promote partisan school board elections – to eventually bring School Board candidates under the same system through which you select other elected officials.
In that resolution, county parties were encouraged to host debates for school board candidates.
To this end, the Teenage Republicans (TARs) of Davis County are hosting an Open House for both Davis County and State School Board candidates. Since these races are still non-partisan, all candidates have been invited.
In our recent County Central Committee meeting, DRCP Chairman Phill Wright reiterated the importance that School Board members play in the education of our children and grandchildren, and underscored the importance of making sure you’re voting for candidates that represent your values.
Please join the TARs and the candidates on Thursday the second of October 2014 at 7pm at the Farmington Fairgrounds.
From the website of the Davis County Recorder’s Office, here are the current candidates (regardless of Party affiliation) for your consideration and research.
State School Board
- Laura Belnap, 801-699-7588, email@example.com
- Mark Bouchard, 801-725-1289, firstname.lastname@example.org
Breck England, 801-231-2215, (no email address provided)(withdrew)
Davis School District
- David Nelson, 801-451-6827, email@example.com
- Julie Tanner, 801-497-0502, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gordon Eckersley, 801-628-5287, email@example.com
- David Lovato, 801-771-0587, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mona Andrus, 801-721-3140, email@example.com
- Thomas Waggoner, 801-825-5651, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tamara Lowe, 801-776-0870, email@example.com
- Freddie Cooper, 801-773-2426, firstname.lastname@example.org